• Dont forget it is just a game!

    Almost Sociopath Part 1


    Almost Sociopath Part 1
    From a female reader wondering where she falls on the sociopath spectrum:

    I've been reading your blog from your first post on since I found it at the beginning of this week (still reading, expecting your book by end of week). It's...fascinating. But, more than that, it often times rings shockingly true. I've spent years studying sociopaths, but given much out there was negative I'd frequently told myself "well I don't kill/rape/assault" and thus couldn't possibly be one.

    This being said it seems highly possible I am. I have done "bad" things - taken what wasn't mine, gone places I shouldn't have, destroyed psyches and lives - with nary a care in the world....In fact even the "I don't assault" statement isn't entirely true given I'd been in a few fights; but they were non-chargeable incidents, disbelieved by others (no one believes the adorably pint-sized blue-eyed, blond, girl is capable of violence, especially when she targets bigger kids and boys), when I was young and they were often provoked or a playfulness that went awry...I thought I was playing, the other person found me to be physically bullying. What I've always found most troubling - still do find most troubling - was how not troubled I was/am. When my friends wept at movies I laughed, when they seemed horrified by the latest terrorist threat I shrugged, and when they grew cross at something in the news I simply did not see why they were making the fuss (after all, it did not personally affect them, did it?)....I used to torment my best friend thinking it was playful/it didn't bother her and hadn't a clue what I'd done was considered wrong/cruel until junior high when she wrote an explicit poem on how it made her feel...and then directly told me that the poem was about our interactions.

    I slip in and out of interests and infatuations with both things and people without a second look back. When asked what I love I simply gauge the people I'm with and go with the most satisfactory-to-them answer - with nerdy friends I like Lord of the Rings, with jock friends I like weight-lifting and kick-boxing, and on and on it goes. This holds true for people as well...while I've had a small handful (3-5) of friends for years, since childhood, it seems due to not being able to keep any others. I make friends fast, easily, but rarely keep them - they all just seem to slip away on me. Of course I confess others have run off do to some game I played with/on them that they were not overly fond of. Whatever the reason though I find I don't mind too much provided I didn't lose them to someone else - this holds overly true in the romance department; people don't leave me, I leave them, and I'll reconnect with exes just to ensure, in the end, I left them.

    I cannot, for the life of me, say with any certainty what/who I, myself, love. I have interests, yes, and can hold them for years upon years, at times almost obsessively I've been told, but loves?...I don't know...

    After knowing me for a while some people have mentioned my...personality. High school friends called me the Devil's puppy and said I was like the manipulative Katherine from Cruel Intentions (the modernized Dangerous Liaisons with Sarah Michelle Gellar). Another friend noted that I was "the one that gets people to do things and then hides in the bushes, laughing, while the cops arrest them" (she was unaware at the time that I'd, in fact, done something just like that in my earlier youth...my then friend got kicked out of that store as a result, it was hilarious to me). Even my grandmother declared "that's you!" as I read off some sociopathic traits I'd learned of. My eyes have been mentioned once or twice, but only in positives (in that they were attractive) except from enemies who've noted I "stare right through" people...of course I don't know if they mean through like into the "soul" of or through like the other person wasn't there.

    In argument for not having sociopathy: I am female (thus making it statistically less likely, so the research says). I do understand sarcasm - which you mentioned would be hard for sociopaths - but there's a caveat on this one: I understand it in my family and close relations who use it with great frequency, I understand the kind I grew up on. If I'm with someone new - a new friend, a new mate - I'm slower to pick it up...especially if written out without a winky/smiley emoticon or some other signifier that states the person is joking. I also can at least speculate why another might cry should there be a stimulus for it around - she's crying because someone in the movie is dying - and have cried once or twice at movies myself (the greatest emotion attached to my crying though is frustration, even in a movie situation where I'm often finding something keenly unfair in the narrative towards a character I identify with in some way, but still I cry at a situation I know, logically, to be completely falsified...something I hate, the sense I'm being manipulated into a feeling, which is probably why I'll never watch a movie that's made me cry again)....Of course these might be due to years of experience and/or my exceptions, not my rules, in personality. Not sure.

    Source: umad-dating-advices.blogspot.com

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment